Monday, July 20, 2009

The Doc is Logged In

The LA times just had a nice article on IT in the practice.
Wow. I've just taken care of three patients in 12 minutes, and I didn't do it by "churning" them through my office as if it's some sort of factory assembly line. Rather, those patients (their parents, more specifically -- I'm a pediatrician), e-mailed me over a secure network with questions and descriptions of signs and symptoms.

One mother attached a digital photo of a rash on her 3-month-old daughter's face; it turned out be nothing more serious than baby acne (it'll go away in a month or so). Another mom had noticed that her son was missing one of his pre-kindergarten immunizations (she had pulled up his shot records online) and requested that I order it. And the father of a 5-month-old boy told me that his son has been constipated off and on for the last month. I e-mailed him a questionnaire so I could determine whether the family should try something at home or bring the child to the office.
The articles goes on to list some advantages and disadvantages of healthcare IT. Read the article here .

Source: Rahul Parikh, In Practice; The doctor is in and logged on; Let's not pass notes or play phone tag anymore: E-mail and e-records do it better., Los Angeles Times, Health Section, Features Desk, Part E, pg. 1 (July 20, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers